资深玩家版主

Credits
elivaras
Sr. Player Moderator
Joined 2015-7-5
Last Visited 2016-11-08
Post time 2015-8-31 08:28:24 | Show all posts |Read mode
The Forums need work! Reply:9| View:381

Hey guys, Elivaras here. As you all know, this forum has NUMEROUS issues, and if you\'ve posted at all, you will notice at LEAST one of them. Here are the issues that are blatant and that I think are a glaring problems in these forums:

The Issues:
        1. Semi-colons randomly appear in any post or reply that you make. This is just straight annoying. Every single time you post a reply or make a guide or topic you have to comb through your post to make sure you delete all of the random semicolons, otherwise they can appear mid sentence or even mid WORD and mess up what you were trying to say.

2. PM\'s have a 200 character limit. This means it\'s impossible to message another player if you\'d like to privately discuss something about the game, and also means you can\'t message a moderator with something that you\'d rather keep private. For example, xPectation\'s post about forum moderators being inactive. I\'m sure he\'d have much rather PM\'d that directly to the mods, but that\'s downright impossible with a 200 character limit.

3. The banned words. This is by far the most annoying thing I\'ve ever run into. All I want to do is help someone out and answer a question, and then when I try to post it says Illegal Words Found and then redirects you back to the page you were on, instantly DELETING everything you had just typed. Along with me going very in depth in posts, and therefore spending up to twenty minutes on each post, it\'s REALLY annoying when I lose everything. And then every time I go to post I have to make sure I open up notepad or something similar to paste my reply in. And even when you ARE able to keep the text after you get the Illegal Words Found notification through the method I just described, it\'s IMPOSSIBLE to figure out what the heck it deems illegal! I don\'t cuss or swear in any of my posts, or say racist or abusive comments, and STILL I get the Illegal Words Found notifications. I had one post that I combed through like 12 times, googling what banned words were on other forums, looking for swear words WITHIN words (like assistance!), and all that time ends up being wasted because it\'s impossible to figure out what was banned.

4. Edit limit of 15 minutes. This is also really annoying. For example, lets say I miss a point on this post or make a mistake on one of my points. Well, unless I notice it in the first 15 minutes, there\'s no way I can fix it. And usually I won\'t notice it, and it only becomes obvious after someone points it out (ESPECIALLY in the case of my guides! I accidentally misread what Astral Hunter\'s ultimate did, and guess what! No way to fix it now!), and at that point it\'s too late.

The Solutions:
        1. There\'s an issue in the coding that makes the semicolons appear- someone needs to look into this.

2. INCREASE THE LIMIT! I really don\'t think there even needs to be a limit. There\'s no limit to a post, so why for a PM? If you really want to put a max in, make it something like a 5000 character limit ((EDIT: Haha... since my guides are so long I actually hit the character limit.. It\'s something like 25000 XD)).

3. Firstly, make sure that when you get redirected to the Illegal Words Found page, you do not lose everything you typed! Actually, that brings up something... WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE TO GET DIRECTED TO A NEW PAGE?! There\'s NO point in this WHATSOEVER. Just let us stay on the same page and bring up a notification that appears over TOP of your post that you can choose to X-Out, rather than have you redirected to a useless page that says Illegal Words Found. Secondly, to actually fix this issue, there are two options. A, you can put out an illegal words and phrases list, or B, when you get a pop-up over your text that says Illegal Words Found, have it TELL you what the illegal word was that you used.

4. Really, just get rid of the editing limit. I mean I really don\'t see an issue that will arise without an editing limit. I can only say that if there is, I won\'t be able to fix this post to accommodate that change, unless someone points it out in the first 15 minutes.

So yeah, these are four problems on this forum that needs to be addressed, and there are probably more. I hope a mod takes a look into these issues in the future. Thanks for reading,
        ~Elivaras

elivaras Last edit in 2015-8-31 08:28:24

Support

Default Signature

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

User

Credits
alcheon
User
Joined 2015-4-13
Last Visited 2016-09-28
Post time 2015-9-1 02:28:43 | Show all posts

The Forums need work!

Hi Eli!

I\'ve noticed similar issue too!

I\'ve asked Ezy about it before, if my memories don\'t fail me!
They will be implementing a new forum system soon!
        In any case i am putting this up on suggestion board!
Floor reply (0)

alcheon Last edit in 2015-9-1 02:28:43

Support

Default Signature
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

User

Credits
xpectation
User
Joined 2015-8-16
Last Visited 2015-10-28
Post time 2015-9-1 07:28:58 | Show all posts

The Forums need work!

I totally agree with you Elivaras!
        But I got 1 more issue to report tho.
        When ever I want to open a forum posts, it automatically opens in a new tab...
        So after a session of answering questions on the forum, I have about 15 tabs open. That one is pretty annoying too ^^

Greets,
        xPectation
Floor reply (0)

xpectation Last edit in 2015-9-1 07:28:58

Support

Default Signature

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

超级版主

Credits
ezy*
Super moderator
Joined 2015-4-29
Last Visited 2017-08-17
Post time 2015-9-1 09:44:16 | Show all posts

The Forums need work!

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience, we will be soon using a new forum system which should be more powerful and efficient, hopefully in this month. Please stay tuned.
Floor reply (0)

ezy* Last edit in 2015-9-1 09:44:16

Support

Default Signature

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

资深玩家版主

Credits
elivaras
Sr. Player Moderator
Joined 2015-7-5
Last Visited 2016-11-08
 Author| Post time 2015-9-1 11:15:06 | Show all posts

The Forums need work!

Reply 3# ezy*
That\'s wonderful! Thanks Ezy*!
Floor reply (0)

elivaras Last edit in 2015-9-1 11:15:06

Support

Default Signature

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

User

Credits
oldboy[eu8]
User
Joined 2014-8-31
Last Visited 2016-12-30
Post time 2015-9-7 14:00:13 | Show all posts

The Forums need work!

No update?
Floor reply (0)

oldboy[eu8] Last edit in 2015-9-7 14:00:13

Support

Default Signature

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

资深玩家版主

Credits
elivaras
Sr. Player Moderator
Joined 2015-7-5
Last Visited 2016-11-08
 Author| Post time 2015-9-7 22:36:34 | Show all posts

The Forums need work!

Reply 5# oldboy[eu8]
Everyone\'s busy working on getting all the data transferred from this forum to the new one, so I guess it\'s taking a while
Floor reply (0)

elivaras Last edit in 2015-9-7 22:36:34

Support

Default Signature

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

User

Credits
temudgin
User
Joined 2016-1-11
Last Visited 2016-04-29
Post time 2016-4-25 00:45:45 | Show all posts
I am bumping this thread because I believe issues haven't been addressed and this post is 8 months old. Some of these issues have detrimental impact on how the forum flows. I am still creating a navigational map and collecting all pertinent information from different threads to create a how to in wikia FOAFR. It will be done soon.
Floor reply (0)

temudgin Last edit in 2016-4-25 00:45:45

Support

Temudgin (S157) Haran

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

User

Credits
shamino
User
Joined 2016-3-1
Last Visited 2016-08-01
Post time 2016-5-10 21:46:01 | Show all posts
Edited by shamino at 2016-5-10 21:52

Issue #3 is incredibly, INCREDIBLY annoying. Particularly as absolutely no feedback is provided as to what has been flagged as illegal (hint: show a preview of the post with illegal parts highlighted in yellow).

I tried to participate in an essay contest one time and it was freakin' horrible to get the thing to post. I had to post and edit, adding one paragraph at a time to try and figure out what was being flagged.

Truly terrible design.

By now I would have thought people had figured out that web-post censorship is just a plain bad idea, everywhere. It gets in the way constantly of people trying to post legitimate messages and, because humans are inventive and creative creatures, it does nothing to actually stop people who want to be offensive (they'll find a way around it). The best, most appropriate censorship comes from an active community where members keep each other in check through simple social pressure and with a ban-hammer when needed for accounts of bots and serial spammers.

Floor reply (0)

shamino Last edit in 2016-5-10 21:46:01

Support

Default Signature

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

Points Rules

小黑屋|community.gtarcade.com

2017-10-19 20:47 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.061111 second(s), 49 queries .